Dating quimper pottery
The Gare de Chartres railway station offers frequent services to Paris, and a few daily connections to Le Mans, Nogent-le-Rotrou and Courtalain.The A11 motorway connects Chartres with Paris and Le Mans.Chartres was in Gaul one of the principal towns of the Carnutes, a Celtic tribe.In the Gallo-Roman period, it was called Autricum, name derived from the river Autura (Eure), and afterwards civitas Carnutum, "city of the Carnutes", from which Chartres got its name.In 1674, Louis XIV raised Chartres from a duchy to a duchy peerage in favor of his nephew, Duke Philippe II of Orléans.
It contains fine stained glass and, formerly, twelve representations of the apostles in enamel, created about 1547 by Léonard Limosin, which now can be seen in the Fine arts museum.With his driver, Griffith proceeded to the cathedral and, after searching it all the way up its bell tower, confirmed to Headquarters that it was empty of Germans. Colonel Griffith was killed in action later on that day in the town of Lèves, 3.5 kilometres (2.2 miles) north of Chartres. Its renowned medieval cathedral is at the top of the hill, and its two spires are visible from miles away across the flat surrounding lands.For his heroic action both at Chartres and Lèves, Colonel Griffith received, posthumously, several decorations awarded by the President of the United States and the U. Military, and also from the French government Following deep reconnaissance missions in the region by the 3rd Cavalry Group and units of the 1139 Engineer Combat Group, and after heavy fighting in and around the city, Chartres was liberated, on 18 August 1944, by the U. 5th Infantry and 7th Armored Divisions belonging to the XX Corps of the U. To the southeast stretches the fertile plain of Beauce, the "granary of France", of which the town is the commercial centre.It gave its name to a county which was held by the counts of Blois, and the counts of Champagne, and afterwards by the House of Châtillon, a member of which sold it to the Crown in 1286.In 1417, during the Hundred Years' War, Chartres fell into the hands of the English, from whom it was recovered in 1432.